There are many reasons why one should attend meetups, here are just a few:
- To learn more about a certain industry. You can talk to others who have been in the industry longer and are willing to share how they got to where they are.
- To learn from powerful speakers. Use the event as an opportunity to be motivated by others and keep up with trends in your field.
- To increase your visibility. Treat the event as an opportunity to see and be seen. You never know who’s watching!
- To create relationships. Meet people in your field who want to give you a chance to succeed. They could be a new LinkedIn contact, a new mentor, or your next colleague someday.
- To become comfortable with the interviewing process. Practice your elevator pitch and gain confidence on your interviewing skills in a relaxed environment.
By Christy A. Walker