Job shadowing is a short term learning experience (day or week) which is an opportunity for students to gain exposure to an industry and/or a work setting. To gain exposure to a career field students are encouraged to consider things to do, before, during and after a job shadowing experience!
- Think about the type of job you would be interested in doing
- Conduct some research about the field.
- Contact family friends, professors, TA’s, neighbors and supervisors who might refer you to professionals working in your field of interest
- Contact the professional, introduce yourself and explain what you are seeking
- If the professional is open to meeting with you, schedule a mutual time to meet and time frame for your visit
- Generate a list of questions.
- The visit may consist of a few hours to a full day depending upon the availability of your host
- Consider arriving at least 10 minutes early
- Dress to be remembered in a positive manner
- Greet your host with a professional handshake
- Maintain good eye contact
- Deliver your questions in a clear, concise voice.
- Based on the responses you receive, additional questions may be generated
- Be prepared to go on a tour of the facility and/or department or departments
- Thank your host for their time along with a firm handshake and tell them you will be in touch in the future
- Send your host a professional thank you letter and let them know you appreciate them sharing their valuable time with you.
- Consider sending or delivering their favorite fruit or healthy snacks for the office to share a tangible “THANK YOU”
- Follow-up with your host and notify them if you utilized their suggestions to gain skills and to expand your career growth