By: Sheena Jacobs, Assistant Director
Each year UNC will have hundreds of employers attend our career fairs. Each employer will have a table with signage, information, handouts, job descriptions, goodies, etc. If you’ve never attended one, here is an idea of what happens:
- Practice: Career Services will always have prep workshops the week of the fair
- Expect to spend 3-5 minutes speaking to each recruiter; ideally, 1-2 hours is a good amount of time to budget for the entire event, depending on your priorities.
- Warm up: Reach out to see who will be attending the event
- This information is always provided online and at the fair.
- Prep Talk: Re-frame your mindset from “I don’t like talking to strangers” to one of “I like meeting people.”
- Game Plan: Create a plan on who you want to meet with
- Practice with companies that may not be as high on your priority list
- Deliver: Stand tall, smile, and say something friendly and insightful
- It’s time to deliver your 30 second elevator pitch
- This is a great opportunity to express interest in a company and show your depth of knowledge about them (which is SUPER impressive).
- Finish Strong:
- Follow up with an email or voicemail the next day to thank the recruiter for coming and to reiterate your interest in the employer.